Dear all,

I’m in the process of switching from SPM2 to SPM8, and I’m seeking help to explain differences in the results I get when I process the same (individual subject) dataset with both suites.  I’m using a high-res EPI sequence (22 slices, voxel size = 2x2x2 mm, TR = 2000 ms, TE = 40 ms) with a limited FOV (I only capture the upper half of the brain) and the following preprocessing algorithms and parameters:

Slice Timing (TR = 2, TA = 1.909, # slices = 22, slice order = [2:2:22 1:2:22], ref slice = 11)

Realign and unwarp (defaults)

Smoothing (4.708 FWHM)

(No coregistration, normalization, or segmentation)

However, when I use the same data to set up and estimate the 1st-level model (I don’t use 2nd level—all my analysis is within-subject), I get totally different activation maps in the results for SPM8 compared to SPM2, even when using the exact same p value and cluster size thresholds.  Can someone help me to understand why this is and/or what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

-Elyse