Hannibal Hamlin writes:

  All these horses named Will or Willy make me wonder whether
  there is another level to all the escaped horses in Ariosto or
  Spenser. The knights are trying to get the girl, but their horses
  won't cooperate. Our "proper" editors will send us to Plato for
  such stuff, but perhaps Spenser's semantic range extended a
  little lower. Not really provable, of course.

Perhaps it's not "provable"; but a very smart study (although
nowadays it would count as both old and, I would guess, old-
fashioned) of very closely related issues does in fact exist and
speaks to many of them:

Taylor, Arvilla Kerns
The manè€ge of love and authority: studies in Sidney and
Shakespeare
Austin, TX, 1969
University microfilm no. 69-21,895
Thesis (Ph.D.)--University of Texas at Austin

Unlike some of the rest of us, Dr. Taylor, a Texan, had
actually met a horse or two, but her study was based not
on anecdote or personal experience but on a great deal of
literary and historical evidence.

Daniel Traister
University of Pennsylvania