From: Research and evaluation across all LIS sectors [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pickton Miggie
Sent: 28 September 2009 15:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New issue of Library and information Research now available

APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING

The latest issue of Library and Information Research is now available online at http://www.lirg.org.uk/lir/ojs/index.php/lir/issue/current.

Issue 104 contains something for everyone, including three papers from LIRG-sponsored speakers at Umbrella 2009.

In this issue:

An academic viewpoint:

John Feather’s thought provoking paper addresses the important question “Do we need the information professions?”

For public libraries:

“An evaluation of the National Year of Reading in Yorkshire” - from Carolynn Rankin and colleagues.

For school librarians:

Christina Sacco Ritchie asks “Would evidence-based school librarianship work in the UK?”

From an academic library:

A survey of e-book usage at UWE – LIRG prize-winning research from Jackie Chelin and colleagues

And for information professionals everywhere:

Janet Clapton’s practical checklist for establishing the context of a new research project.

We invite you to review the Table of Contents below and then visit our web site to view articles and items of interest.

Don't forget that we welcome submissions of research articles, reports and book reviews from both practitioners and academic researchers; and of course we are always interested to receive your feedback on the journal.

Best wishes

Miggie Pickton and Louise Cooke
Joint Editors, Library and Information Research
http://www.cilipjournals.org.uk/lir

Volume 33 Issue 104

Contents

Editorial

Editorial

Miggie Pickton 1-2

Invited Contributions

The information society: does it need the information professions?

John Feather pp.3-10

Why can't every year be a National Year of Reading? An evaluation of the NYR in Yorkshire

Carolynn Rankin, Avril Brock, Jackie Matthews  pp.11-25

Filling a gap: would evidence-based school librarianship work in the UK?

Cristina Sacco Ritchie  pp.26-35

Reports

Establishing the context for your research project

Janet Clapton  pp.36-44

Research Articles

“E-books are good if there are no copies left”: a survey of e-book usage at UWE Library Services

Jacqueline Ann Chelin, Jason Briddon, Elspeth Williams, Jane Redman, Alastair Sleat, Greg Ince

pp.45-65

Book Reviews

GODWIN, Peter and PARKER, Jo. (eds.) Information literacy meets Library 2.0. London: Facet Publishing. 2008.

Monica Blake  pp.66-67

GORMAN, G.E. and CLAYTON, P. Qualitative Research for the Information Professional: A Practical Handbook.

London: Facet Publishing. 2005.

Juliet Eve  pp.68-69

CRAVEN, J. (ed.) Web Accessibility: practical advice for the library and information professional. London: Facet Publishing. 2008.

Virginia Havergal  pp.70-71

DEWE, Michael (ed.) Renewing our libraries: case studies in re-planning and refurbishment. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing Ltd. 2009.

Stephen Mossop  pp.72-73

Times Higher Education award winner 2008: outstanding international student support
http://www.gcal.ac.uk/news/pressoffice/releases/241008.html