Dear All

The RMS Executive have been following the recent listserv discussion with great interest and would like to now add our collective comments to them.

There seems to be some uncertainty over the various "accreditation" and "merger" processes currently underway in some organisations. In light of the current level of scrutiny the RMS is happy to share some of its strategic directions.

The RMS will be undertaking a poll of its membership during the next financial year regarding future trends and directions, and growth options. The first of a series of open "meet the executive meetings " hosted by two Regional Groups is being planned and the venue has been booked,  further details will be released shortly.

Accreditation:
The RMS is in the process of establishing an "inclusive" accreditation process aimed at endorsing practitioner excellence within its membership taking into account  academic qualifications and professional expertise.

- the launch of the RMS accreditation system was delayed earlier this year in - order to take into account feedback provided by the external peer group asked to review the accreditation process.

       A small test group is now trialing the revised process.  The new RMS Accreditation scheme is due to be formally launched in Jan 2010.

Merger:
Over the last 9 years the RMS has held informal discussions with a number of different societies with regard to potential mutually beneficial mergers, however, upon review the Executive have felt that it was still in the best interests of our members to retain independence for the foreseeable future  . The RMS is also always happy to discuss working collaboratively,

- In 2007 the RMS was invited to attend a 1 day SOA hosted conference on the on the Future of the Archive sector. No one from the RMS Exec was available to attend this meeting. Unfortunately we were not included in the subsequent discussions which were expanded to include the records management arena and ultimately led the current proposed merger of a number archives groups with the SOA.

- In the meantime, we continue to work with the SOA in the development and support of joint meetings in our regional and special interest groups around the UK. The Chair of the RMS already has a meeting scheduled with the Executive Secretary of the SoA.

Membership
The RMS Membership has not reached a plateau.

- Since 2000, membership numbers have risen over five fold and  we continue to receive a steady influx of new members each month.
- Conference attendance has also increased year-on-year (up to 2008). This may be because the RMS is seen as an inclusive organisation a culture the Executive is keen to retain.

RM/IM identity:
The last Executive meeting established a working party to look at the issue of how ‘records management’ and ‘information management’ are perceived.  This group will be presenting their initial report to the Executive in December and will be part of the strategy papers put to our members.

Final Thought
We are encouraged to see that this debate has stimulated such discussion, it shows that we have an active and vibrant community  and are sure that all Societies would welcome this level of input directly into them to enable the sector to grow and flourish in the way that we all know it can. As previously mentioned The RMS Executive is currently preparing strategy briefing to put to members - individual member's input is always welcome and will also be sought through the Region and Special Interest Group fora.

Regards to all

David
Vice Chair RMS

Flintshire County Council/Cyngor Sir y Fflint
Tel/Ffon 01352 702178

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]