Thank you Eldin, I agree with this.

Perhaps those of us working in the private sector and who are members of the RMS and SoA take these issues up at their local meetings such as, for me, would be the RMS London. James Lapin, if you are reading this, may be a meeting can be held in the near future with these topics on the agenda. The feedback can be given, in this case, to the RMS Executive committee and then be added to an item for the RMS Conference next year.

I have felt over a number of years that both the RMS and conference have become more and more dedicated to the Public sector. This is evident in this issue of the Bulletin where Security of Information has been looked at a new issue for Records Managers to think about, whilst the private sector has had security of information on their agenda's for a number of years, well as least all my working life, which has been with Records for 40 years. I have to add my choice for RMS has always been for it's openness and policy for membership is open to all who involved some way with Records Management and I hope this continues to be the case and not exclusive.

Regards

Helyn Parr
Vice President
_________________________
Deutsche Bank AG, London
GBCF Central Business Records
Phone; +44 (0) 207 545 7106
E-mail; [log in to unmask]
CBR E-mail; GCF-Central Business Records - London

"Eldin Rammell, Rammell Consulting" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The UK Records Management mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

17/09/2009 10:26
Please respond to
"Eldin Rammell, Rammell Consulting" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Sector representation - first steps?

Can I please make an appeal to those members of the list working in the private sector to make your views known (and respond off-list to Bryan if you would like to participate in this discussion further).

Over 90% of the activity on the list comes from the public sector, primarily local government and education. This may be a reflection of the fact that the information and networking needs within the private sector are more effectively provided for through industry-specific bodies. Speaking personally, whilst I remain on this list and find some of the discussion interesting and challenging professionally, there is little direct relevance to my day-to-day work. Some of my private-sector colleagues have removed themselves from this list and have allowed their RMS membership to lapse for the same reason i.e. the perception that the RMS is too heavily focussed on the public sector. However, both the RMS and SoA have membership from the private sector and it would be useful to the discussion going forwards to understand what value they perceive in membership of those bodies and any expectations and desires with respect to any potential merger, development of accreditation etc.

If the governing bodies of the RMS and SoA do progress merger discussions as suggested (or even just a poll of their members’ views), I believe that inclusion and support of their private sector members needs to be on their agenda.

Regards,
Eldin.