As a recruiter working across all the various 'domains' of information
management work, including archives, records, information management,
libraries and KM, it has been striking to see the amount of 'navel
gazing' across all of the areas in the past couple of months on exactly
this topic - does 'the information profession' have a voice in the
'outside world'? - who would the public/government/employers think of
(if anyone) as our representative? - what is the definitive
qualification to show someone is capable and credible in these roles?

For example, last week at the LMLAG conference (a group for Librarians &
Archivists working in Museums in case you were scratching your head!)
the topic of the day, for around 250 delegates, was all about
collaboration and convergence and the comment was made by more than one
speaker that 'users can't tell the difference' between a curator,
archivist or librarian.  I'm sure the same applies in government or
corporate organisations where users can't see the point of separating
information governance/security, records management, management
information systems, information management, content/web/intranet
management or knowledge management!

Apart from discussion on lists like this one, or at conferences, I think
we need to get this issue onto the agendas of the various Committees,
Exectutive bodies, CEO's, Presidents (or other organising groups or
people!!), and push for them to start talking to each other about how to
'collaborate or converge' - so those who are members of AIIM, SoA,
CILIP, RMS, ARMA, etc, etc could perhaps alert their respective managing
people to this thread or others like it and ask them to take action?

Nicola

*************************
Nicola Franklin - Direct Line 020 7378 5458
Head of Recruitment

Sue Hill Recruitment - view our Blog at http://suehill.typepad.com/

Sue Hill Recruitment Network -  http://www.linkedin.com/e/vgh/2219369/
<http://www.linkedin.com/e/vgh/2219369/eml-grp-sub/>

Borough House
80 Borough High Street
London SE1 1LL

Tel 020 7378 7068
Fax 020 7378 6838
web http://www.suehill.com <http://www.suehill.com/>

Registered Office: 30 City Road, London EC1Y 2AB      Registered in
England. 3484222     VAT No. 709 9652 93