I don't follow the Harriet blog and so could care
less about its rules, but I can comment on Graves
as you present it. His history is a bit
off--seems more like pub blather. The phenomenon
he talks about is in fact considerably more
recent, postdating the first wave of modernism by
several decades. The academics who became
interested in the Eliot/Pound generation were in
fact serious scholars, with traditional PhDs, tho
a few of them also wrote poetry. It's with the
proliferation of MFAs (Iowa was the only program
for a very long time) that the academicization of
the production of poetry happened. I think it's
been disastrous, but it's not tied to modernism
per se. For that matter, at most universities in
the US modernism after the 30s is barely
recognized as existing. I could probably count
courses on Olson on the fingers of one hand, for instance.

A question to ask might be why modernist verse,
sometimes of extraordinary complexity, continues
to be read in Latin America, and for that matter
in mainland Europe, where there are no MFA
programs and if poets teach it's because they're
serious academics. The chasm between readers and
poets seems to be largely an English language
thing. In the US it's not just a matter of
poetry, either--serious fiction gets published
less and less by serious commercial publishers,
and a press run of 5000 for a new novel seems
munificent. Reading of all but self-help books
and romances seems to have collapsed.

Blaming all of this on academic Pound scholars
seems a bit easy, not to say self-serving.