Thanks Max -my heart went ot to the nurses and the rat lady-cheered me am on
lots of pills at the moment and feel a bit odd!!
Patrick pilled

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Max Richards
Sent: 15 September 2009 21:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: snap: street sights

Snap: Street Sights (last Wednesday)

Strolling in downtown San Francisco,
we heard chanting, saw marchers and placards -

the nurses of the town, with an amplified leader
pleading for better pay and conditions.

Good luck! Crossing a side-street respectfully,
we stopped in our tracks: a street lady

with trolley piled with her belongings,
coming our way, stumbled, spilling her load.

Three large plastic containers disgorged rats -
large sleek long-tailed rats, grey, brown, various.

They milled about her feet, staying close,
not getting run over, letting themselves be

ushered back into their containers, replaced
on their mistress's trolley. How many?

Fifty or so, we guessed, in her menagerie.
She trundled them to the pavement and away,

leaving behind some broken biscuits,
pieces of vegetable, greens and carrots.

We kept at a respectful distance,
silently wishing her good luck - elsewhere.

Wednesday 16 September 2009

Max Richards

now back in Melbourne

(Oakland, where my wife had a conference, was quieter.
'Jack London Square' very sober.
USS Potomac, once FDR's, once Elvis Presley's, once sunk, offering cruises.
'Black Panther History Tour' on offer also.)