Hi Sara,

This is a tricky question. Most consultants will try to get what “the market can stand” which in my experience can be anything from £75/hour upwards (I have charged 3 times this for complicated medico-legal consultations and I know many others charge far more). It depends on what level of consultancy and responsibility you are expecting. Then, of course, there is the organisation that is paying and their attitude. Academic institutions have a scale which you might be able to use.

If your consultant podiatrist has masters or above level qualification and loads of experience then the remuneration should reflect this. Podiatry is as much or arguably more academic than many other clinical professions and should be rewarded accordingly.

I hope this is helpful

Dave

David N.Dunning

Lecturer/practitioner