Hi Chuck

An interesting article, and it raises a good point that we should see
things from the positive flip-side more often. However, the fact is that
our behavioural processes include conserving energy (reducing mental and
physical effort) e.g. by the devaluing of proposed change, or by more
creative delegation of the required effort. Why change if we can just go
with the flow. It is easier to follow general social habits and gain a
greater sense of belonging than consider attempting something as
challenging as to change other people's behaviours and risk possible
alienation. It's not that we don't care, well some maybe, but if we
don't practice changing, or change-agency, it just seems, well, like
something best left till another day.

This is what the health and wellbeing, and the sustainability promoters
amongst us are constantly up against, in seeking to change behaviours
and develop a more realistic and responsible culture. Oh hang it, it
really is easier to keep going the way we are, in our social network,
even if we do appreciate it cannot be sustainable. It doesn't seem worth
the grief, life's too demanding as it is, with information overload and
so many choices to occupy us, and keep us distracted.

Some of us are however more confident and exercised to swim against or
across the flow, watching and looking to change and to change others,
with some successes; looking for new patterns of opportunity for change
that start off by going with the flow but become redirective. We have to
find realistic ways of 'baiting' people towards change by letting them
'pre-experience' the benefits, with benefits that outweigh the
investment in effort.

Regards

Kev

Dr. Kev Hilton