From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of JANE COOMBS
Sent: 29 August 2009 08:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Union Advice

Hi All

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.....!

I don't think it particularly helpful to either the individual, the
company or managment to suggest that employees go to their unions for
advice - it can provoke conflict which doesn't help, plus the employee
often goes around saying 'Occupational Health said I should talk to the
union'.  But if we do make the suggestion then I believe we should be
transparent in our reporting back to management - the same as we would
with any other work advice we give.

I used to work in a place where some of the Occ Health Advisers
suggested that employees took out a grievance if they didn't resolve
stress/management issues with the Manager and, to me, this is a
detrimental step, even though it is legitimate advice.  The company had
a culture of aggression and long term unresolved issues and high absence
- mainly because any type of consultation/mediation into this sort of
thing prolonged the situation which resulted in even worse health
affects such as anxiety/depression for the poor employee (let alone the
Managers involved).

I think we, as Occupational Health Advisers, underestimate the power we
have when we make suggestions/offer diagnosis's and solutions.  In most
companies where I have worked - what is said by myself is taken very
literally and employees tend to trust what I say implicitly (research
supports this) - passing comments have often come back to bite me on the
bum.

For those starting out in Occ Health -take my advice and think carefully
about advice you give and why you give it - you may have to defend your
stance in the future - not just to management/courts but to the
individual you are advising.

Jane Coombs
OH Manager