Hi Neal, Charlie, and all,

Regarding the difference between the artist-intended "real-time"
performance speed of a piece and the once-removed, institutionally
archived "memory-time" of a piece, something like William Pope L.'s
"The Black Factory" ( http://www.theblackfactory.com ) is wonderfully
and intentionally problematic. The project intentionally
self-sabotages its own eventual/inevitable recontextualization as an
archived art object. The project is basically a mobile performance
factory that takes "black" objects submitted by people and physically
converts them into other objects. So the project is a machine that
modulates the "aura" of a discrete/singular object. There's no easy
way for the project itself to be archived as an object (although it
is technically an object [a mobile home] that generates residual
objects). A machine that transforms objects (The Black Factory) can't
itself be transformed into an object (an institutional archive of The
Black Factory) without throwing a boot into the institutional machine
that wishes to transform it into an object. In the archiving process,
the institutional machine is immediately revealed for what it is (A
Memory Factory? A Culture Factory? A sterilization factory?). The
Black Factory is thus properly multi-dromological.

Regarding the mystique of "real-time" -- might real-time be to
"time-based art" what Benjamin's aura was to the "original art
object?" Aura as ontological object-essence; real-time as
phenomenological event-essence.

psycho-archival texts likeSchwenger's "The Tears of Things:
Melancholy and Physical Objects" and Carey's "Observatory Mansions"
become relevant.

Best,
Curt