Greetings from Linz where we are thinking about time and media art
from a long-term perspective, namely the life span of an interactive
work and how the audience's experience of it changes over time.

We are currently creating a documentary collection for David Rokeby's
seminal work Very Nervous System. Our collection follows a structure
that we call the "Indeterminate Archive", which captures the
relationship between the artist's intentions and the audience's
experience.  You can see our previous case-study of this kind here:
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/html/e/page.php?NumPage=2121

The Very Nervous System is nearly 30 years old.  In our interview with
Rokeby he describes the fascinating differences that he perceives
between the audience's experience of the work in the 80s, 90s and
2000s.  People's daily interactions with computers have changed
fundamentally over this time, and we think that the different
experiences of the Very Nervous System over the past three decades may
reveal a great deal about how those changes are reflected and
processed through media art.

Apart from the in-depth interviews that we are doing with audiences
here in Linz, we would like to gather experiential accounts from other
people who have encountered the Very Nervous System over the years.
If any of you on the list have a memory of experiencing the work, we
would love to include it within our Indeterminate Archive. Please
send your accounts or links to audiovisual documentation (off list) to
me ([log in to unmask]).

Thanks

Caitlin Jones and Lizzie Muller

--