UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO

Te Whare Wananga o Otago

Dunedin, New Zealand

Lecturer – Science Communication

(Confirmation Path)

CENTRE FOR SCIENCE COMMUNICATION

Applications are invited for the position of Lecturer in Science Communication to teach science communication at postgraduate level and to develop a strong research programme in some aspect of science communication. The Centre for Science Communication offers a Master of Science Communication (MSciComm) degree in three streams: popularizing science, science and natural history filmmaking, and creative nonfiction writing. The successful candidate should have expertise in one or more of those areas. Favourable consideration may be given to candidates with a doctorate in science communication and evident familiarity with the theory of science communication.

The position will be offered as a confirmation-path (tenure track) position at the level of Lecturer. The successful candidate is expected to take up duties no later than 1 February 2010, but preferably earlier.

Further information may be obtained from: http://www.sciencecommunication.info

Specific enquiries may be directed to Professor Lloyd Davis, Director, Centre for Science Communication, Tel 64 3 479 7654, Fax 64 3 479 7584, Email [log in to unmask]

Applications quoting reference number A09/104 close on Thursday 15 October 2009.

Application Information

Send applications to the Human Resources Division, Email job.applications@otago.ac.nz, Fax 03 479 8279.  With each application, please include an application form, an EEO information form, a covering letter and your curriculum vitae.  The forms and a full job description are available at www.otago.ac.nz/jobs   Alternatively, contact the Human Resources Division, Tel 03 479 8269, Email job.applications@otago.ac.nz

Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.

E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa

whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.

www.otago.ac.nz/jobs

DO NOT send original documents in support of your application - copies are adequate and preferred.  Documents will not be returned.

Please complete a separate application form and include a separate copy of your curriculum vitae and supporting documents for each vacancy you wish to apply for.

For ease of processing and to avoid cost and waste, we ask that applications are not presented in folders.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES

for appointment as

Lecturer - Science Communication

(Confirmation Path)

CENTRE FOR SCIENCE COMMUNICATION

The University of Otago

The University of Otago, which was established in 1869, is situated within the urban area of Dunedin, a city of ~120,000 and regarded in New Zealand very much as a University town. Dunedin City is attractively situated within easy distance of mountain, lake, fiord and coastal sites. The University of Otago currently has a little over 17,000 equivalent full-time students, spread over a wide range of disciplines, and organised into four main Divisions.

For more information about the University of Otago: http://www.otago.ac.nz/about/index.html

For more information about Dunedin City: http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/

Divisional Structure

The Division of Sciences is one of the four teaching divisions in the University, the others being Health Sciences, Commerce, and Humanities. The Science Division represents a broad range of disciplines in 14 Departments and a number of inter-disciplinary programmes.

For more information about the Division of Sciences: http://www.sciences.otago.ac.nz/

Centre Information

The Centre for Science Communication is New Zealand’s first tertiary-based centre devoted to science communication. Opened in February 2008, it built upon the successful Postgraduate Diploma in Natural History Filmmaking and Communication, which had been taught jointly by the University of Otago and NHNZ (the world’s second-largest producer of factual filmmaking) since 2001.

Currently, we have 52 masters students enrolled in our Master of Science Communication (MSciComm) degree and 1 PhD student, making us – in little more than a year – one of the largest entities in the world for postgraduate studies in science communication. The MSciComm is taught in three specialty streams: popularizing science, science and natural history filmmaking, and creative nonfiction writing in science. We have our own building with dedicated facilities as well as close links with NHNZ.

Current staff include a full-time director (also responsible for directing the writing stream); a half-time professor of science communication who directs the popularizing science stream, and a half-time director of filmmaking. There is a full-time teaching fellow and half-time centre manager, as well as part time professional practice fellows responsible for teaching camera techniques and editing.

The Centre for Science Communication is friendly and progressive, with a very international flavour (about half our students come from overseas). The emphasis with respect to communication is on story telling, with story telling forming the core part of all our streams. Our programmes are distinguished by the emphasis we place on producing outputs that must go into the public domain. The MSciComm theses consist of two parts: an academic component and a creative component. The latter may be a film, book, website, installation or just about anything that communicates science to the public. This creates peculiar challenges but potentially great satisfaction when it comes to supervision of such student theses. This is one reason why the Centre for Science Communication also places great store by encouraging its academic staff to be active themselves in communicating within the public domain. Nevertheless, we live in an academic environment that rewards academic outputs favourably compared to those in the public domain, and so we are working hard to develop scholarship and research in areas of science communication.

The Centre for Science Communication is actually a stand-alone unit within the Department of Zoology and, as such, we are fortunate to have the department’s expertise and facilities available to us. The Department of Zoology currently has seven full Professors, eight Associate Professors, five Senior Lecturers, two Lecturers, two Senior Teaching Fellows, and 16 Postdoctoral Researchers. Non-academic staff include three secretarial and administrative staff and 16 research and technical staff, four of whom are concerned primarily with laboratory teaching duties. The duties of the other technicians include management of a mechanical workshop, photographic darkrooms, histology suite, radioisotope laboratory, chemistry laboratory, computer facilities and research assistance. Field-based research is supported by access to departmental 4WD vehicles, boat, caravan, and technical support. The Department of Zoology strongly supports the principle that research is an integral part of academic life and provides some research support. Funds are available for research also from the University of Otago Research Committee, and from grants or contracts from New Zealand’s Foundation for Research, Science and Technology for applied work, the Marsden Fund for fundamental science, and from government agencies, private trusts, and non-governmental organisations. Members of staff are encouraged to apply for support of their own research and that of students working under their supervision.

For more information about the Department of Zoology: http://www.otago.ac.nz/zoology/

Duties and Responsibilities

The successful candidate will be responsible to the Director, Professor Lloyd Davis, and will be required to contribute to teaching and examining of postgraduate degree courses in Science Communication as appropriate to their area of specialization. The successful candidate will be expected to engage actively in their own research and to supervise the work of masters and PhD students.

Salary

The salary range for a Lecturer is $67,768 to $81,737 per annum. Appointment will be made at an appropriate step in this range depending on qualifications and experience.

Equal Employment Opportunities

The Centre is committed to diversity in staffing and we encourage applications from women and other under-represented groups. Parental leave without pay of up to 54 weeks and paid parental leave of twelve weeks’ salary may be granted to female or male employees with at least one year of service. The University operates childcare centres (unsubsidised) covering the period birth to eight years. Job splitting and flexible working hours may be negotiated for periods of child rearing.

Contact Person

Specific enquiries may be directed to Professor Lloyd Davis, Director, Centre for Science Communication, Tel 64 03 479 7654, Fax 64 03 479 7584, Email [log in to unmask]

Offer of the Position

Should the University wish to offer you the position, a formal, written letter of offer will follow any verbal discussions that might be held with you.  It is recommended that you do not resign from your current employment until you have received our written offer.  The contents of this formal letter of offer and its attachments will constitute the entire agreement between the employee and the employer, and will supersede all previous representations, negotiations, commitments and communications, either written or oral between the parties.  Any agreements will only be binding on the employer where they have been formally offered by the Human Resources Division and accepted by the employee.

Applications

Applications quoting reference number A09/104 close with the Recruitment Consultant, Human Resources Division on Thursday 15 October 2009. With each application you must include an application form, an EEO Information Statement, a covering letter, contact details for three referees and one copy of your full curriculum vitae.

University of Otago

PO Box 56

Dunedin

NEW ZEALAND