From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Marjorie Greene
Sent: Sun 20/09/2009 10:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Believers as Historians

Doctissimi,

I would first like to thank the person who mentioned Margaret Visser's Geometry of Love, which I am now happily devouring. I'll head straight for Sta Agnese f.l.M. the next time I'm in Rome to see all I missed and to see it, I hope, through Visser's eyes.
Early in her text, she makes the following startling (to me) statement:
"A friend who is a well-known art historian once told me how, as a student, she had been assured by her colleagues that any scholarly accomplishment in the area of Christian art was out of the question for her because she was a 'believer'".
Is this a common attitude? It suggests that an historian of anything must be some sort of emotional blank slate, with no affective stake in or concern with what s/he is writing about. I'm trained in literary critical theory and practice. No one ever told me that my work on Christian authors would be worthless since I'm a believer. I find the notion absurd.
Any comments?
MG

Marjorie Greene
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/