John, has it not crossed your mind how strange it is for a bishop to carry a name that was a liturgical feast degree in his time?
In multiple liturgical calendars is his name spelled "Sollempni epi." - with other days classified as "Solempnus" (Solemn feasts, like the Assumption of the Virgin (15 Aug.) in every town with a Nôtre-Dame church in France).

Since there not is any other saint in France by that name has it always puzzled me.
And it still does.
Best wishes
Erik Drigsdahl

At 10:42 -0500 25/09/09, John Dillon wrote:
>For 'Solemnius' (a more recent form surviving in potted saint's lives) read either 'Sollemnis' (Gregory's name form for S., also that of S.'s early Chartrian Vita) or 'Solemnis' (the spelliog used by the RM in its revision of 2001).
>
>There is a point of view, espoused by Duchesne and followed by others, that regards the S. of Chartres as originally distinct from Gregory's S.  That's quite possible, though there's not enough evidence about early constructions of a saint of this name to exclude an original identity.  But from the time of the Translation account (BHL 7820; dated by Levison to the mid-ninth century) onward the two figures have been conjoined.

>On Friday, September 25, 2009, at 1:40 am, I wrote:
>
>> 3)  Solemnius (d. late 5th or very early 6th cent.).  We first hear of
>> S. (also Sollemnis, Solennis, etc.; in French, Solenne, Solein, etc.)
>> from St. Gregory of Tours, who narrates (_In gloria confessorum_, 21)
>> his inventio at a monastery at today's Luynes (Indre-et-Loire)
>> followed by healing miracles at his tomb.

Erik Drigsdahl          CHD Center for Haandskriftstudier
Kapelvej 25B  3.tv.         E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>
DK-2200 Copenhagen N        http://www.chd.dk
                            Phone:  +45 + 3537 2047

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]