I took the plunge, downloaded and installed AbiWord, and added in
the UK English (my default) and Latin dictionaries.  The latter
is labelled "Latin (Renaissance)" in the language selection
options, and, while I've not tested it very extensively, seems to
have some serious limitations - it did not like the form "arma",
for example.  As to the i/j and v/u issue, for "major" it
suggests "maior", but for "uirumque" it would have "virumque".  I
tried it with Martial 1.47 and 5.9, which I happened to have in a
Word file.  In the first, it did not like the word "vispillo", in
the second it objected to "languebam", "aquilone", "gelatae", and
"febrem".  So it seems, like all wordprocessor dictionaries,
limited but not entirely useless.  One can, of course, add words
to the dictionary (though since spelling checkers [spilling
chequers?] of this sort tend to rely on simple matching, the more
words in the dictionary, the lass like lea well bee an accurate
result).

Otherwise, AbiWord looks to have some possibly useful features,
and seems to load fairly quickly with the full plug-in package
installed, so may be a good choice for someone wanting a
Word-compatible wordprocessor, especially as it seems to be
available for many platforms.  The user interface under Windows
will be largely familiar to Word for Windows users.  It is also
not a large download - 8.5 MB for the Windows installer package
(5.6 MB), plus the Latin and UK English dictionaries (about 1.2
MB each), and the additional plug-in and tools packages.  This
has the advantage of being downloadable even of slow connections,
which OpenOffice clearly is NOT.  Fully installed under Windows
XP, it occupies about 66MB (50 for the main programme, plus 8
each for import and export tools, and other plug-ins), so would
be good for those with limited available space.  As to
conversion, while it has its own format, it was able to save a
document with footnotes in the current MS Office .docx format,
which Word opens without complaint, and the same in OpenOffice's
Open Document format (with OO 3.1.0).  It was able to open Word
6.0 and Word 97-2003 documents - again fairly basic formatting,
with footnotes;  however, it did not display the footnotes in a
.docx (Word 2007) format file created in Word.  It does not have
anything like the range of compatibilities of OpenOffice and
modern Word versions.  On the other hand, it seems more stable
than OO.

Terrence Lockyer
Johannesburg, South Africa

to: [log in to unmask]