Hi Sylvia,

Many thanks for your email, which pretty much outlines what is currently taking place. However, in order to clarify:

- All networks and the practice section are expected to report on their activities in each edition of the newsletter. This is not to formulate any line or common position, but simply to report on activities that have taken place and advertise future events. In the past this has been written by the convenor of the network / section, so in our case Máire. As of the present edition we are trying to standardise the format, so each network / section will have a single A4 page to fill - depending on the requirements of each network / section this may include a single piece, or multiple pieces by different authors, information boxes etc.

- Separately from the above reports, the newsletter also carries a series of themed features. The first of the year is the conference edition, whilst the second aims to highlight some of the current issues relevant to MeCCSA members. In the forthcoming edition, one of the issues I wanted to focus on was the Digital Britain report, hence my original email asking for contributions. These are in addition to the single A4 page mentioned above, and although they have a policy focus, do not have an association to the policy network in the newsletter. In relation to the Digital Britain report there will be contributions from Steven Barnett, Patricia Holland, and now the one from Peter Lewis. (I might be able to accommodate one more short piece, 5-600 words, on this issue if anyone feels strongly about it - but I would need the copy by Sunday at the very latest!)

I hope that clarifies the position of the newsletter in relation to the Policy Network.

Going forwards, I strongly encourage all members who wish to write for the newsletter to get in touch - as Sylvia notes, we're in a fortunate position if lots of people with differing or complementary views contribute to the debates.

All the best,
Einar

Dr. Einar Thorsen | Senior Lecturer in Multimedia Journalism

Web:
tees.ac.uk | E-mail: [log in to unmask]
 | Phone: +44 (0)1642 344040
Twitter: einarthorsen | Blog and list of publications: multimediajournalism.info

Editor of Three-D, official newsletter of MeCCSA: meccsa.org.uk/newsletter

Co-Editor (with Stuart Allan) of Citizen Journalism: Global Perspectives: citizenjournalism.me

Address: School of Arts & Media, Teesside University, Middlesbrough, TS1 3BA, United Kingdom

On 9 Sep 2009, at 10:45, Sylvia Harvey (EX) wrote:

Dear All in Policy Network,
I think we agreed when we set up the MeCCSA Policy Network that we could not have any line or common position. We exist as a MeCCSA grouping to support and advance academic policy work in general, in all of its variety and with all of its differences and disagreements.

Then there's the separate and practical question of how we are accountable to the MeCCSA Exec for the activities of our Network and whether or how we can report on the activities of the group as a whole (perhaps an impossible task as we grow in size and in the variety of our views).

In particular, I think it is entirely in order and to be welcomed if individual policy scholars want to report on their work . Peter raises the issue (below) of community media policy. Perhaps Maire, as our MeCSSA executive member and -  I think -  the convenor of the Network - might want to comment on whether or not the MeCCSA bulletin should carry something about the activities of the Policy Network as a whole. Beyond that it's up to the editor of the Bulletin to decide on what stories/reports to carry. Really, we're in a fortunate position if lots of people, with differing or complementary views, wish to publish in the Bulletin.

I hope this makes sense. I'm working remotely and don't have Einar's address. If he's not already on this network mailing, could someone forward this note to him? many thanks.
best wishes, Sylvia

Sylvia Harvey,
Professor of Broadcasting Policy,

Email: [log in to unmask]