Hi,

I've been appointed to research and implement a strategy for using
popular social networking and so-called 'web 2.0' sites such as flickr,
youtube, facebook, twitter, google maps etc to promote the collections
of the Black Country museums and art galleries and get local people
involved by sharing their stories relating to the local collections and
uploading their own images etc. We wanted to send out some feelers and
see what other people had tried and how it had gone. We are aiming to
put a small selection of objects up on flickr (our entire collection is
to be displayed on our main website) but are undecided as to how to
organise them - e.g. do we want one big group for all of the Black
Country sites, with various collections/events/whatever ordered by
flickr collections and sets, or do we want to create a separate group
for each exhibit as it were. We are very keen to get the public
involved, rather than just having a bunch of photos on flickr; we have
already created the group 'The World in White'
(http://www.flickr.com/groups/world-in-white) for people to react to one
of our exhibitions by uploading their own 'world in white' photos.

So I suppose what I'm asking is:

*         Have people used flickr for community response ideas like
this? Did it work for you? Did you find it increased visits online or in
reality?

*         How do people feel about twitter? Can it be useful for things
like 'object of the day'? Does it have wider applications?

*         What have people done with maps? Geocoding is relatively
straightforward on flickr but that only seems to get one on flickr maps
(hooking up to google maps, while apparently possible, seems a little
complicated - anyone had any luck?)

*         Have people used youtube to promote art films/video
installation exhibits?

*         What do people think about the value of using facebook
pages/groups? I myself am sceptical, but maybe I can be proven wrong :)

Many thanks,

Tom Jenkins.

DISCLAIMER: This email and files transmitted are
confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose,
distribute or use it in any unauthorised manner.  If you
have received this email in error please notify us by
email to [log in to unmask] and then delete
it and any attachments accompanying it.  Please note that
Wolverhampton City Council cannot guarantee that this
message or any attachments are virus free or have not been
intercepted and amended.
Any views or opinions expressed within this email are
those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those
of Wolverhampton City Council and no contractual
arrangement is intended to arise from this communication.