Dear Stewart,

Thank you for this reply, it’s very useful indeed. I have only had a few replies, and, you’ll not be surprised to learn, there’s not much consistency out there!

All the best,

Joe

Sent: 25 September 2009 10:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cataloguing bindings

Dear Jo

When I was cataloguing at John’s we tended towards the higher level, although we only applied this to books if we felt that the binding actually merited description for some reason i.e. ornateness or interest. We ended up not recording many standard calf bindings or vellum wrappers, as on a keyword search this would have made retrieval of things of interest rather difficult.

If we were describing a binding though we would include as many of the appropriate elements in the higher level as possible (obviously dates and places could be very difficult, but we usually had a stab at a date even if qualified with question mark). Describing decoration can also be difficult but you might as well have a go. The only things we’d probably not bother too much with from the list of elements described were the description of headbands (mainly cos we weren’t too sure what theses were) and the nature of boards, unless they were wooden. Otherwise I remember including virtually everything else at some point.

I’ll stick a couple of examples in below to give you an idea of the sort of things we did.

Hope this is of some use.

Stewart

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/special_collections/early_books/pix/provenance/gbible/gbible.htm

Binding: 18th-century dark blue morocco (Cambridge, ca. 1750, probably by Ed. Moore); gold-decorated sides (with dentelles and lozenge shaped centre ornament), spine, board edges and inside edges; all edges gilt; kept in leather wallet. UkCU-JOH

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/special_collections/early_books/pix/provenance/floral/floral.htm

Binding: 15th century English (Oxford?) blind-stamped calf over wooden boards, by the "Floral Binder" (for stamps see Oldham's "Blind-stamped English bindings", plate 18, figs. 167, 172, 174 and 168?); remains of single book-clasp; rebacked. UkCU-JOH

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/special_collections/early_books/pix/provenance/bart/bart.htm

Binding: 15th? century German blind-stamped calf over wooden boards with the author's name "Bartholomeus" stamped in Gothic script in the top border of the front cover, and roll containing rose motif; impressions of 5 bosses on both covers (4 corners, 1 central), and book clasps; of a style produced for Koberger in Nuremberg (see Jane Greenfield, 'ABC of bookbinding', p. 142) ; repaired and re-backed. UkCU-JOH

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/special_collections/early_books/pix/provenance/maryonwilson/maryonwilson.htm

Binding: In vol. with 18th century painted vellum by Edwards of Halifax, with differing vignettes on front and back covers; gold-decorated border, spine, board edges and inside edge; all edges gilt; with a fore-edge painting of the Old Bridge at St John's College; preserved in slip case. UkCU-JOH

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/special_collections/early_books/pix/provenance/luther/luther.htm