I have printed this out and will stick on my pin-board for future perspective when I’m bogged down in cataloguing guidelines.

Jacqui Grainger

Sent: 24 September 2009 20:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cataloguing bindings

What is needed by just about all booksellers and cataloguers, is an enormously detailed system of

description, with illustrations where necessary, clearly divided by type distinctions into at least three levels

of detail. Such systems can be very useful as 'memory joggers'. But must never be allowed to become a substitute for the human brain. So often, we know exactly what we want to describe, but cannot quite

retrieve the exact words from "that crazy structure", .....where..."the wind tears off the tiles, the floors give way, the ceilings fall, strange birds build untidy nests in the rafters, and owls hoot and laugh in the tumbling chimneys".

Encylclopaedias could be written on wormholes (shape, number, extent, marginal or text, recent or inactive, size, etc) and might be relevant in a description of the Vinland map.Edges can be dyed (specify colour), gauffered, uncut, gilt, fore-edge painted, sprinkled, inscribed...).

Surely the only reasonable course is to be allowed to select only the criteria germane to the item. To be required to state for legal reasons that a paperback has no umbones, clasps or catches- or a Gutenberg bible no dust jacket-  makes as much sense as editors requiring contributors to a biography to begin

with, say, "Lord Kitchener. Sexual orientation -heterosexual". Tools are never good enough to become our masters.

John Barton