The reason  "existing library users can’t join the scheme" is because we wanted to specifically try and attract non library users - I have outlined some facts below about the service below.

Book Express service Newport Libraries

Scope of service

The aim of the service is to encourage non traditional library users to become library users.  The target audience is adults 25-45 not currently using library services with internet access living in Newport.  The Book Express service is a virtual library service; customers will use LION to reserve a book, the item will be posted to the customer’s home address with a return pre paid envelope.  It will not be possible to renew these items.  Each Book Express customer may reserve up to 50 items a year

Operationally the service is managed by a virtual services library assistant within the libraries ICT team

The scheme has been running for just over 2 years take up is slow but steady.  Initially we were meeting the target audience but increasingly the interest is coming from older people.

We have added value to the service by asking clients to register their favourite authors and subject interest and we send recommended titles based on these preferences.

We have had people start with the Book Express service and then move on to full library use.

How the service works

The scope of the service is described in full on the library website.  Access to the service is managed through the library online service, LION.  Interested parties register online as a Book Express customer.

Reserving an item

Using the regular reservation function on LION customers will select the Book Express option from the drop down list when the customer is asked to choose a collection site for the item reserved.  If it is not possible for an item to be supplied the client will be notified by email.  The Inter Library Loan service is not be offered for these items

Issue of Book Express items

Items will be issued with a return date of 1 month.

A note advising clients on the return process is included in the parcel along with a return pre paid envelope.

We also send an email a week before the return date to remind people to return their item

Overdues will be generated in the usual way including how to make a payment by cheque.

Clients with fines owing will not be able to receive further items until the fines are paid.

Melanie Sheridan

ICT Co ordinator

Newport Community Learning & Libraries

>>> "Wilkie, Sarah" <[log in to unmask]> 09/28/09 10:39 am >>>

This is a potentially exciting development, but does anyone know why existing library users can’t join the scheme?  You apparently have to “live in Newport and not already borrowing from any Newport Library.”

Sarah

Sarah Wilkie
Constituency Manager LAIS
Lifelong Learning UK