Apologies for cross posting

The following course will take place at the University of Salford in December. The aim of
this one day workshop is to help participants to develop the confidence to engage in those
difficult conversations we so often avoid. The workshop will be highly participative with
plenty of opportunity to rehearse difficult conversations in small groups.

01/12/2009
Having difficult conversations
Time: 10:00 - 16:30
Venue: University of Salford - CW208, Clifford Whitworth Library, Salford
Tutor: Deborah Dalley
Book a place: http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=77

Charges
NoWAL Members: £90
External Delegates: £150

Course Content
 * The importance of planning for difficult conversations
 * A step by step checklist for conducting difficult conversations
 * How do I begin? – Opening the conversation
 * Active listening
 * Inquiry skills
 * Managing our emotional energy
 * Handling defensive reactions

It is important that participants are prepared to bring along current issues that they
are dealing with and are willing to explore these during the day.

Who should attend?
It is aimed at staff with management responsibility who need to have one to one
conversations which explore areas such as poor performance, inappropriate behaviour,
negative attitudes etc.

Comments from previous attendees
"I thought the course was excellent. Splitting in to small groups to discuss problems was
very effective and less intimidating for some staff; also time to consider problems
individually was great preparation. Deborah also provided plenty of handouts that we could
take away which is really useful in helping to recall information etc. It was a varied
mixture of learning, group work, individual, reflective and brain storming."

"The standard of content was extremely high and of clear immediate relevance. Level and
pace of delivery was excellent."

Book a place: http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=77

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Gil Young
NoWAL Support Officer

Follow NoWAL on Twitter - http://twitter.com/NoWALnews

NoWAL: Widening access to library resources and improving learning and information
support services through innovation, influence and partnership.

NoWAL Office
Room 212
Department of Information and Communications
Manchester Metropolitan University
Geoffrey Manton Building
Rosamond Street West
Off Oxford Road
Manchester
M15 6LL

0161 247 6021

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester
Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "