Comments below.  For what it is worth.
---------------------------------------
Mike Poulin
Digital Resources Librarian & Coordinator of Digital Initiatives
Colgate University Libraries
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346
315-228-7025
fax: 315-228-7934

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this – it makes very interesting reading.

I have some more questions which  I hope you can answer for me:

1.       How do you deal with bundled titles i.e. journal subscriptions which come with other titles e.g. Art Book which comes as part of subscription to Art History – do you have to identify these yourself so that costs/download for example aren’t overestimated?

-- For important titles - I divide up the costs across the multiple titles - Art Book - I don't worry about since Art History is unlikely to ever get canceled. BBA is one of the titles I break the costs over the separate sections.

2.       How do you deal with title changes where usage appears both under the current title and the former title e.g. Literacy (formerly known as Reading until 2004) – do you have to identify these yourself so that costs/download for example aren’t overestimated?

-- I just don't worry about it.  I have an very practical approach to using the stats.  It is only going to be the "worse" cost per use or unused titles which end up on the cancellation list.  We have a little under 3,000 subscriptions between periodicals and standing orders.  For the few which had title changes which might be jeopardy, I would have a note on the title change in the order record and would catch it on final review if we were actively considering cancellation.

3.       How do you deal with title transfers where usage is still being recorded on former publishers’ platforms – do you have to identify these yourself so that costs/download for that particular title isn’t overestimated?

Since the SS Counter 360 platform clusters multiple platforms under an authority title in most cases, I see all instances of the online use together - Jstor, EbscoHOST, Direct sub 1, Direct sub 2.  We are interested usually in total use of a title so generally that suffices.

4.       How do you deal with subscribed content that is on multiple platforms – e.g. Informa Healthcare content some of which is currently on IngentaConnect, InformaWorld, the new Atypon Informa Healthcare site and the soon to be superceded Atypon Informa Pharmaceutical Science site?

See above - editorial comment - Hate Informa for breaking off the pharm - just plain stupid.  Forces me to have to download another set of stats for 1 subscribed title.  It would seem that they could figure a way to allow us to select which platform we want to get the titles on so we would not have this splintering of content on to multiple sites.

5.       Since it can be difficult with “big deals” to always know exactly what one has a right to access how can one easily deal with identifying what needs to be removed i.e. zero usage because one doesn’t have access, zero usage because a “subscribed” title isn’t being used (which may have a number of reasons including one doesn’t know it is a subscribed title within a deal!) etc.

-- We don't have many big deals - and they are not all that big - most of our subs are title by title.  Here is a brief description of what I do with the zeros.  For vendors who return all the titles including those not subscribed assuming that there are more than a few (just a few extra, I don't worry about)

-- Finally - While we use and really like Counter 360 - I do find that there are times we need to be able to do data analysis where there is no place to load the information into Counter 360.  Perhaps if we had the ERM product then it could serve but we regularly look at data fields such as - is it online, print + online, primarily print for titles which use username password or current year only access, or print.  We need to be able to compare print and online at the same time and that is tricky with these online use compilation services.  So we take the Counter data back out of SS and match it against a Filemaker file of current subscriptions.  That gives us a place to add notes - deal with titles which don't have use data - e.g. look up click throughs, add print use, locals subject headings (department), etc.  It works well and gives us more flexibility to customize than any ERM system which I have reviewed to this point.  Since it focuses on the titles which we have individual subscriptions to, it limits the review to the domain we have "control" over for cancellations.  (note that we add all the individual titles which we had print subscriptions to which are now part of deals - example is Project Muse - if we had a print subscription then we add a separate record to the file for the title  but the other titles in Muse which came as "add ons" won't be in the review file.

What SS Counter 360 lets us do is compile all the stats in a single place and merge the variant titles.  Really valuable.  It will become even more helpful with SUSHI but until we get the publishers to give us reports that we need - e.g. without the zero's for non-subscribed titles - I will unfortunately have to manually edit them since I don't want the subscribed zeros to get lost - I want to cancel those titles not hide them.

I guess what I am trying to find out is how much additional work one needs to do with these types of products to make sure one has got the correct information at ones fingertips so that the right decisions are made about cancellations, renewals etc.

Cheers

Lesley

Lesley Crawshaw

Knowledge &  Business Intelligence Consultant

Information Hertfordshire

University of Hertfordshire

Tel: 01707 285508

Joint List Owner: [log in to unmask]