Hello Lib-Stats list members,

I am looking for any suggestions from list members on logging/reporting of
non-HTML/non-PDF library resources in electronic format. Are you aware of any
ways in which libraries are currently addressing issues of reporting digital
usage beyond HTML or PDF versions of e-Books, journals, articles with COUNTER
or other library usage reporting standards?

One example would be reporting on non-HTML and non-PDF full text in an online
viewer similar to Google Books.

Another would be reporting on usage of digital image or video collections.

I found a reference to non-textual resources in Release 3 of COUNTER Code of
Practice at http://www.projectcounter.org/r3/Release3D9.pdf
<http://www.projectcounter.org/r3/Release3D9.pdf>. A glossary in the document
defines the following terminology –

Full-content unit:
Journals: full-text article; Books: Minimum requestable unit, which may be the
entire book or a section thereof; Reference Works: content unit appropriate to
resource (eg dictionary definitions, encyclopedia articles, biographies, etc)

Non-textual resources:
Non-textual material that is published in an online journal, book or other
publication that is often associated with a full text article, encyclopedia
entry, or other textual material. COUNTER allows four categories of
non-textual resource: image, video, audio and other.

COUNTER does not include further references to Full-content unit or
Non-textual in the standard. How would COUNTER or other library-accepted
reporting standard be used to log/report the equivalent of full-text views for
other (e.g. non-textual) content types?

I am aware of general web stats tools, but am looking for something more
scalable and standards-oriented that can be used to normalize reporting across
content types. After reading postings on this list, I realize this may be a
naive dream, but thought it worth posing anyway.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

Meg Hurst
University of Rhode Island
Graduate School of Library and Information Studies