Actually Jethro, that is a really interesting point.   As TERENA procure
the server certificate service under EU procurement laws that requires a
reprocurement every 3 - 5 years, and yet you sign up for a 1,2, or 3
year certificate, there was always a chance that certificates would be
issued that rolled beyond the end of the contractual date of the SCS.  I
know that TERENA are looking to strengthen the contract with future
suppliers so they will honour certificates beyond the cut-off date in
future, so we should see an improvement here.

The reason for the change is simply EU procurement rules.  You can
expect that there might be in a change in the SCS every 3 years or so
because of this, unless the current contractor is successful for a
second term, so it is worth bearing in mind.  Believe it or not, it has
been three years!

On the upside, normally you would have to remember when your
certificates expired yourself, and now you will have us to constantly
remind you until April!  I do believe the new service process is much
quicker and easier than the current GlobalSign approach.

JANET will issue some federation-specific advice shortly but it is worth
following the advice of the SCS and changing across to Comodo
certificates via their instructions.  You can of course chose to stay
with GlobalSign if you happen to like their flavour of certificates, but
will need to pay according to their normal rates.