Henry,

What you’re saying is that post ’75 Mulvey realized that gurlz like to watch boyz, too. Freud was wrong.

Therefore, a strict representationalism would involve nothing more than a fairness doctrine in which there’s an equal opportunity to gaze. As this, in a manner of speaking, was easily accommodated, after three years of pondering, our author(ess) moved on.

It’s furthermore obvious that cinematic representationalism closely follows the poly sci flag, or the manner in which various groups are/not represented by virtue of number. In other words, to inquire why and to what ends people gaze is roughly analogous to the old expression, “An equal distribution of inequality”. Both beg questions regarding ends; which in turn delves into issues of meaning—or ‘signification’.

Yet my answer might appear to some to be (provocatively) simple: The impetus of early Woman’s Lib provided a platform for a gaze-equal screen. Women could now stare at nekked men because they now had the means to pay. Two generations hence, this tendency now ebbs and flows in some sort of Kultural zeitgeist. To a small extent, women are now taught that gazing isn't nice.

I agree that the distinction rep/sig is a convenience, at best. This is because, strictly speaking, a philosophy of representationalism would depend upon an extreme empiricism that’s supported by two pillars: analytic truths and reductionism of sensation to word. In this world, meaning would be self-evident. Anyone who saw things ‘properly’ would have access to the truths that are simply theirs for the taking.  And this, to a great extent, is still the dominant ideology of Hollywood-- as our heroes are those with clarity of vision that the less-heroic lack.

Yet the fact is that we derive meaning from words, concepts and things in a rather jumbled and disputed fashion.  We generally sneer at orthodox Marxists and Randites who pretend some genre of ‘objectivity’ that the rest of us lack. Quine, in any case, finished off the epistemic issue ‘way back in ’51….

And yes, I also agree that cinema has always been about desiring machines. My dispute seems to be that in many cases the cinematic object of desire seems to be more of the clearly visible than of the symbolic order. Is there, perhaps, a misunderstanding among certain individuals that semiotics is all there is to significance?

Moreover, much is missed when the viewer simply doesn’t grasp what’s directly before his/her very eyes; in which case semiology becomes a cover story. In other words, when the chorus in Blue sings ‘Ean tais glossis’, you either understand the text, or don’t….there is nothing to decode.

BH