A philosophical investigation into the differing sensations of time in cinema and photography

PHOTOGRAPHY, CINEMA, MEMORY: The Crystal Image of Time
Damian Sutton
University of Minnesota Press | 288 pages | 2009
ISBN 978-0-8166-4739-2 | paperback | $25.00
ISBN 978-0-8166-4738-5 | hardcover | $75.00

Damian Sutton explores time in both cinema and photography to present a radical new understanding of the photographic image as always coming into being. Drawing on Gilles Deleuze's concept of the crystal image to move beyond the tropes of immobility, stasis, and death, Sutton's analysis reveals the open-endedness of time expressed in the photograph.

"This book adds an important dimension to the contemporary study of photography. As the oldest of our new media technologies takes new forms and enters a complex phase, our traditional theories of photography, the photograph, and the 'photographic' are being tested. Firmly based in a consummate grasp of photographic culture and theory, as well as its limits and challenges, Damian Sutton explores how Deleuze's influential philosophy of the cinematic image can also illuminate our understanding of its foundational element: the photographic image itself. Photography, Cinema, Memory should take a place on the short shelf of new and significant thinking about photography." -Martin Lister, University of the West of England, Bristol

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/S/sutton_photography.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/mediaalert.html
-
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
v * 612-627-1932
f * 612-627-1980
http://www.upress.umn.edu

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **