usually you have data that prove new treatment is more effective and more expensive than standard treatment. So you have to quantify this problem. That's way health care decision maker use this analysis. It is not strange that physicians do not like this analysis as to decide about to pay or not for a treatment is a policy decision, not a single physician decision. Physicians should pay attention only to effectiveness and report moral objection to the use of cost. How ever politician should consider costs since money do not serve only the purpose for health care problems but for other expensive social services too.
may be this is sad, but this is...
I do not know if we have a solution to this problem...
May be decide that new treatment should'nt cost more than standard treatment?
Felice Musicco

Dr. Felice Musicco
Farmacista Dirigente IFO Roma (Istituti Fisioterapici Ospitalieri Regina Elena San Gallicano - IRCCS)

Responsabile Servizio di Staff di Direzione Sanitaria per le attività di Farmacovigilanza e Flusso FarmED, Referente monitoraggio registri AIFA

tel. +39 06 52662047
fax +39 06 52662850
email [log in to unmask]