Most college system administrators,as in our institution tackle the facebook menace by blocking it and medical students are not even allowed wifi access in the library during working hours.

However this does mean we are blocking out an important means of online portfolio based learning and formative assessment of medical students.

Some of our students access our facebook group after working hours although it cannot thrive unless there is institutional support.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102177045567

Conscientious, explicit ( but not illicit as in KevinMD's article), and judicious use of facebook like social networking architecture may go a long way to augment learning outcomes in medicine.

rakesh