Good morning everyone

Ash recently reminded us of the complex issues in this area and
especially the data here:-

Fojo T. and Grady C. How Much Is Life Worth: Cetuximab, Non-Small Cell
Lung Cancer, and the $440 Billion Question. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2009;
101: 1-5 )

On the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words, attached is a
recent cartoon from one of our UK national newspapers. All hope is not
lost when the front page cartoonists start drawing reproductions of
these dilemmas.

Of course, and I know we all know this especially Ash, but the limited
outcomes described for some new cancer medicines are necessarily based
on the mean. And as has been described on this group before, we'd all
hope (and so would our patients) to be at the right hand end of the
survival distribution curve when we face those few dark moments in our
lives of serious, perhaps fatal, illness. And of course the oncologists
using these medicines also are hoping for a much-better-than-average
outcome too, and they'd be right in thinking that for those who do
better than the mean in the trials the cost effectiveness result for
those patients would almost certainly also be much better than the mean.

In the UK there are some innovative arrangements emerging or at least
being proposed where there's an initial discounted price for the new
medicine and then, if a clinical response is seen, the NHS pays for
on-going therapy.

My question for the group is whether worldwide anyone has experience of
such arrangements, and especially the arrangements for defining the
"clinical response"? I'd be happy for off-line responses, and I'll
undertake to collate a composite response and post that.

Bw

Neal

Neal Maskrey, National Prescribing Centre, Liverpool UK