A good response to these rather unusual commentaries was just written
by Dr Howard Brody for his Hooked: Ethics, Medicine and Pharma blog here:
http://brodyhooked.blogspot.com/2009/09/fairness-in-enforcing-coi-regs-by.html

For a more logical discussion of the effects of conflict of interest,
and its disclosure, on how one should evaluate clinical research, see
this article:
Greenland S. Accounting for uncertainty about investigator bias:
disclosure is informative. J Epidemiol Community Health 2009; 63:
593-598. Link <http://jech.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/63/8/593>here,
requires subscription.

For those without a subscription, I summarized its main points on the
Health Care Renewal blog here:
http://hcrenewal.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-perspective-on-evaluating-effects.html

At 06:58 PM 8/31/2009, Jean Levasseur wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Thaught these may be of interest to the group.
>Fresh and free from Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
>
>Cheers !
>
>Jean Levasseur MD, MSc
>Joliette, QC, Canada
>
>http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/84/9/771.full.pdf+html