I'd like to canvas list members opinions about a discussion on-going elsewhere - and hopefully message 4 might be taken up????

Message 1 - ILPS etc should measure SMART targets for dyslexia study skills

Message 2  What exactly are SMART targets?  I do hope they aren't something like: In two weeks time you will be able to read a chapter of your text book and understand it during a morning's session in the library.  Because sometimes I can do that and sometimes it takes several days and I need a friend to help me sort out where I've gone off on the wrong tangent.  Same with writing: sometimes I'm fluent and sometimes the words jam between the understanding in my head and my fingers on the keys or the pen in my hand and again I need a colleague to sort me out.  And I'm a compensated dyslexic in David McLoughlin's scheme.  (written by an experienced professional person with dyslexia)
The continuous development I'm suggesting may be difficult to put a measurement to, but the students are so individual and the effects of the SpLD so variable that trying to fit numbers to their (our/ my) attainment of SMART targets doesn't map on to the experience of life as a dyslexic.

Message 3  My concern is that "dyslexia study skills" are being seen as a commodity which can be quantified [in advance by an assessor], measured [i.e. 'ticked off as complete' in an ILP] and audited [SFE-DSA team] like building a bog-standard car in an assembly line, whereas supporting a student is a one-off customised service.  Somewhere the idea of supporting a student has been exchanged for remedial teaching [i.e. remedying a deficit in earlier education] by some fast-track method.  WE all know the latter does not exist but the accounting mentality that has taken over seems to think it does!
Other disabled students get on-going support recognising that their disability will not go away - why are dyslexic students treated as though they can be cured?????

Message 4  I do hope someone from SFE has seen Message 3, will understand and be able to act on it sensibly.

John

This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipients. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and unlawful. The recipient acknowledges that the Royal Agricultural College cannot control the content of information received in transmissions made via the Internet.

Royal Agricultural College (Registered in England No: 99168) & Royal Agricultural College Enterprises Ltd (Registered in England No: 2752048) are the trading names of the Royal Agricultural College

Registered Office: Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 6JS