		From: A private list for NADP members. on behalf of John Conway
		Sent: Wed 02/09/2009 09:48
		To: [log in to unmask]
		Subject: "study skills" for dyslexic students

		I'd like to canvas members opinions about a discussion on-going elsewhere - and hopefully message 4 might be taken up????

		Message 1 - ILPS etc should measure SMART targets for dyslexia study skills

		Message 2  What exactly are SMART targets?  I do hope they aren't something like: In two weeks time you will be able to read a chapter of your text book and understand it during a morning's session in the library.  Because sometimes I can do that and sometimes it takes several days and I need a friend to help me sort out where I've gone off on the wrong tangent.  Same with writing: sometimes I'm fluent and sometimes the words jam between the understanding in my head and my fingers on the keys or the pen in my hand and again I need a colleague to sort me out.  And I'm a compensated dyslexic in David McLoughlin's scheme.  (written by an experienced professional person with dyslexia)
		The continuous development I'm suggesting may be difficult to put a measurement to, but the students are so individual and the effects of the SpLD so variable that trying to fit numbers to their (our/ my) attainment of SMART targets doesn't map on to the experience of life as a dyslexic.

		Message 3  My concern is that "dyslexia study skills" are being seen as a commodity which can be quantified [in advance by an assessor], measured [i.e. 'ticked off as complete' in an ILP] and audited [SFE-DSA team] like building a bog-standard car in an assembly line, whereas supporting a student is a one-off customised service.  Somewhere the idea of supporting a student has been exchanged for remedial teaching [i.e. remedying a deficit in earlier education] by some fast-track method.  WE all know the latter does not exist but the accounting mentality that has taken over seems to think it does!
		Other disabled students get on-going support recognising that their disability will not go away - why are dyslexic students treated as though they can be cured?????

		Message 4  I do hope someone from SFE has seen Message 3, will understand and be able to act on it sensibly.

		Dr John S Conway BSc PhD FGS FRGS FHEA MNADP
		Director, MSc International Rural Development
		Director, BSc Countryside Management
		Chair, Research Committee
		Principal Lecturer : Soil & Earth Science
		Disability Officer
		Royal Agricultural College,
		Cirencester, Glos GL7 6JS
		tel 01285 652531 fax 01285 650219