I don't have strong views on this particular proposal though in terms of semantics I don't see any obvious problems.

I do think that DCMI needs to be careful in making such a reciprocal assertion in the sense that it will set a precedent.  Is the plan to make lots of such assertions?  How will decisions be made as to what is worthy of making such assertions about and what isn't?

> We have an opportunity to discuss this at the Usage Board
> meeting in Seoul on Friday, 16 October.  I would need a few
> sentences proposing the mapping claim and any other proposed
> changes to DCMI term documentation and schemas, such as a
> seeAlso by a week from now -- Monday, 14 September -- at the
> latest.  An email message is enough.  Our point of reference
> will be the two definitions cited below.
>
> In Seoul, we will also consider a proposal to DROP the second
> sentence of the usage comment for dcterms:creator ("Typically,
> the name of a Creator should be used to indicate the entity."),
> leaving the comment in place for dc:creator.

Given that the range of dcterms:creator is dcterms:Agent, the second sentence is confusing (at best) and very misleading (at worst).  So yes, it should be dropped as soon as possible.

> This might also be a good time to discuss the recommendation
> made in the FOAF specification, that "FOAF descriptions are
> encouraged to use dc:creator only for simple textual names".  Is
> this still what we want to encourage?

No, definitely not.  We should be encouraging proper usage of dcterms:creator (the second sentence above is part of the reason for the confusion here).

Andy.

Eduserv has moved office! For details visit www.eduserv.org.uk/contacts