Oops, hit the "send" button by mistake. Complete message below, please
ignore the previous one.

As promised, some foolow-up on the rdfs:range of dcterms:language, and RDF
representation of languages. First some background. As some of you might be
aware, I've explored for quite a while the notion of languages as resources,
allowing rich (and of course multilingual) RDF descriptions and use in the
linked data universe. One can track this quest back to the OASIS Published
Subjects Technical Committee, and the set of "PSI" published in 2003 in this
TC, still available at [1].
Some more recent work and exchanges can be found on the ESW Wiki at [2],
where with Jakob Voss (in cc) we explored some paths. This is almost 3 years
old now, and is certainly worth revisiting. Default any authoritative source
I'd  eventually, about 2 years ago, set up the model and data found at [3].
Since, the linked data cloud has quite inflated, and many different sources
have defined their own URIs for languages. See e.g. [4] for 17 different but
equivalent (?) URIs for the French language.
Since the main (but not unique) use of such URIs in the linked data universe
is to provide values of dcterms:language, and the range of this property is
declared as dcterms:LinguisticSystem, all those URIs can be inferred to be
instances of this class.

Well, maybe once again it's not exactly the intended behavior of DC terms
users. Granted, inferring the class of all values of dcterms:language to be
dcterms:LinguisticSystem will eventually populate this class with a zoo of
more or less trustable resources. I guess that's not what one can expect
from a standard recommandation.

Should DC recommend an authoritative enumerated list of classes/instances
for the Linguistic System class?

Should DC recommend even more restrictively the Linguistic System class to
be limited to the values in a given skos:ConceptScheme?

For example, since LoC is about to deliver a skos:ConceptScheme and a list
of skos:Concept for ISO-639-2 codes (according to Rebecca Guenther in cc),
one could imagine the range of dcterms language restricted to concepts in
such an authoritative Concept Scheme. this can be defined formally using an
owl:equivalentClass such as the following (URI of the Concept Scheme is
fictional here)

dcterms:language   rdfs:range dcterms:LinguisticSystem
dcterms:LinguisticSystem     owl:equivalentClass   _:b
_:b  a  owl:Restriction
_:b  owl:onProperty   skos:inScheme
_:b  owl:allValuesFrom  http://id.loc.gov/authorities/iso-639-2/

A side effect, given the domain of skos:inScheme, is that
dcterms:LinguisticSystem is a subclass of skos:Concept

There are at least three things to consider there
- Do we want to see OWL constructs enter DCAM?
- Do we want such a restrictive recommendation?
- In an open world, the range can be interpreted as above : any value of
dcterms:language could be inferred to belong to the said id.loc
ConceptScheme. Which brings back to an old question: how to set limits to a
ConceptScheme?

Thoughts?

[1] http://psi.oasis-open.org/geolang/iso639/
[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/Languages_as_RDF_Resources