Hi all,

I've got a new book out.. Inclusive Masculinity: The Changing Nature of Masculinities

http://www.routledgepolitics.com/books/Inclusive-Masculinity-isbn9780415804622

here I lay out my theory of homohysteria, which discusses heterosexuals' fears of being socially perceived as gay through their behaviors. This is part of my new social constructionist theory of masculinities that builds upon, expands, and critiques Connell's hegemonic masculinity theory. Basically saying that in periods of high homophobia (think mid 80's) boys will align themselves the way Connell suggests, trying to distance themselves from homosexuality. Here the closer one 'acts' gay the more marginalized they are. However,  in periods of decreased homohysteria (think 2000), men become less stratified, and in periods of no homohysteria (many cultures of young men today), multiple masculinities will flourish without heir achy or hegemony. And the best part, it's grounded theory. So it's all empirically based.  Accessible language to boot!!! If your tired of Connell, thinking her theory just doesn't work well to explain today's male youth, you'll wanna have your library order it!

The official summary is below:

Drawing on qualitative studies of teamsport athletes and fraternity members, this book describes the rapidly changing world of masculinities among men in both the United States and Great Britain. As cultural homophobia decreases, university-aged men are influenced to construct a softer version of masculinity - one that is not predicated in homophobia. Inclusive Masculinity shows that today's youth express decreased sexism, racism and masculine bullying. As Eric Anderson demonstrates, men who value inclusive masculinities are also shown to be more likely to bond in emotional relationships with other men and to embrace a variety of behaviors once coded as feminine, including certain same-sex sexual behaviors. This groundbreaking analysis of masculinity and young men will be of interest to students and faculty members within Sociology, Gender Studies, and Sport Studies.

Eric

Eric Anderson, PhD
University of Bath

www.EricAndersonPhD.com