Dear all,

Apologies for cross-postings. Please circulate to others who might be
interested. Thanks!

Call for papers
2010 Annual Meeting of the AAG, Washington, DC, April 14-18

SPECULATING ON EVERYDAY FUTURES RETHINKING THE SPACE-TIMES OF DECISION-MAKING

Organizers: Gordon Clark, Derek McCormack & Tim Schwanen
School of Geography and the Environment, University of Oxford

Sponsored by: Economic Geography Specialty Group, Urban Geography
Specialty Group

Since the emergence of behavioural geography, decision-making processes
have been of interest to economic, urban and transport geographers
studying location and other choices (Golledge and Stimson, 1997). Much of
this work understands decision-making as a contemplative activity by
sovereign, (boundedly) rational human agents. While extremely useful and
insightful, the narrowly cognitivist model of thinking that underpins this
understanding of decision-making is based has been the subject of a
growing critique (e.g. Strauss 2009). Furthermore, by drawing on
developments in a range of disciplines, geographers are developing
increasingly sophisticated ways of conceptualising how the spaces and
times of thinking, and therefore also decision-making, are layered by
processes of memory, affect, and emotion.

The aim of this session is to explore possibilities for a renewed and
expanded understanding of the process and practices through which
decision-making takes place as an everyday activity. We invite conceptual
and/or empirical contributions that explore and make explicit the
complexity of decision-making with regard to location, purchase and other
kinds of ‘choices’ in a range of spheres of activity and intervention.
Thematically, the questions this session seeks to explore include, but are
not limited to, the following:

• How might we conceptualise decision-making? Upon what theories –
philosophical, sociological, psychological, or otherwise – might we draw
when thinking about what makes a decision?
• How does decision making take-place? What are the technologies,
techniques, materials, and artefacts that enable and facilitate the
process of decision making? Who is involved and in what ways?
• Where does decision making take-place? Is decision-making defined by
certain privileged locations, or can we trace its distributed nature
across and between actors and locations? Is decision making a
site-specific or relation-specific activity?
• When does decision making take-place? Is decision making instantaneous,
a flash of inspirational insight, or a slow, incremental process of
leaning into a situation or event? How does decision making involve and
take account of affective processes such as anticipation and expectation?
How does decision-making fold present, past, and future together? What is
the role of virtual ‘unknown-unknowns’ in the practices of making
decisions?
• What is the value of indecision? What does it enable or facilitate? How
might failure to decide allow things to happen?
• Researching decision-making. How might we account for the practices,
spaces, and times of decision-making? In what ways might we investigate
how decisions are narrated, performed, and enacted?

Abstracts (of no more than 250 words) and expressions of interest should
be submitted to Derek McCormack ([log in to unmask]) or Tim
Schwanen ([log in to unmask]). The deadline for the submission of
abstracts in response to this call for papers is October 15 in order to
allow sufficient time to organize the session(s).