----- Original Message -----
From: Save our World
To: Guardian Letters
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 12:40 PM
Subject: Religious leaders tackling climate change

The Editor,

The Guardian,

Sir,

Religious leaders tackling climate change

I welcome Lord May's call to religious leaders for mobilising people to take action on climate change with the aid of community cooperation ('Leading scientist call on religiousleaders to tackle climate change' Guardian 7 September).  Moreover, they have a further opportunity, for which they are uniquely placed, to inspire their followers not just to take behavioural or political action, but to reassess their life priorities and deepest held values as an intrinsic part of their religious practices - in order to sustain such action in the long term and benefit their own personal growth.

In Madeleine Bunting's linked article ('My battle to cut carbon: a baffling, frustrating path to a more honest life' 7 September), she mentions the values of honesty and  authenticity for overcoming denial, as compelling motivations; these can also be tools for religious leaders to utilise in place of passing judgement and reactionary punishment, which Lord May very unwisely advocates, in my view.
Yours faithfully,
Jim Scott,
chairperson,
SAVE OUR WORLD

www.save-our-world.net
14 Richborne Terrace,
London SW8 1AU

020 7640 0492 & 07717 221617

Sign up on-line to VALUE LIFE ITSELF ABOVE ALL ELSE !!!
and support the
NEW MOVEMENT FOR SURVIVAL
www.m-4-s.net & www.save-our-world.net