In conducting my research in Valletta (Malta), a sixteenth century town planned by the Knights, the logic of its arrangement has been mentioned several times: the idea of a left- and right-hand side to the city, the latter being for trade and business, and the left for leisure and ‘other’ (which is where Strait Street is situated). I have accumulated quite a bit of information about this, and understand it to be a feature of many towns and cities of this period. However I haven’t yet been able to locate any definitive sources which either describe this aspect of medieval and early post medieval town planning, or which critique it. A quick Google trawl didn’t reveal anything obvious. Can anyone help with sources that either describe this situation in general, or in the Mediterranean specifically.

With many thanks.

John

Concerned about how climate change may affect older properties? What about saving energy?
Visit our new website www.climatechangeandyourhome.org.uk today.

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the
views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it
from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in
any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available. -------------------------- contemp-hist-arch is a list for news and events in contemporary and historical archaeology, and for announcements relating to the CHAT conference group. ------- For email subscription options see: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/contemp-hist-arch.html ------- Visit the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting dates: http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk --------------------------