Hi Mike and other interested colleagues,

I agree - it is best to select the observed data with the same indices for the new Rfree set as in the previous isomorphous crystal(s), selecting new ones for higher resolution shells (which can be conveniently done in XDS during conversion to other formats with XDSCONV). However, in my experience, even if a completely new random Rfree set is chosen, it will "de-couple" from its initial bias after many cycles of refinement, even without any random perturbations of the model or simulated annealing. You can see how many cycles are needed by monitoring the difference between R and Rfree, which should converge at a maximum value if you don't change the model or the refinement parameters in between.

Best regards,

Dirk.