Waterman, David (DLSLtd,RAL,DIA) wrote:
> Bill's example is nice because the compression is transparent,
 > so no extra work needs to be done by developers. However, this
 > is one for Macs only.

Actually, ZFS is available on Linux too as a user space filesystem, and
Sun are considering a kernel port:
http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE

However, I'm inclined to wait for btrfs (butter-fs). Here's a review of
btrfs from an ex-ZFS engineer:
http://lwn.net/Articles/342892/

Oracle are working on a new generation NFS replacement designed
specifically to benefit from some of the btrfs features:
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/crfs/

Here's an article one of the truely astonishing btrfs features: You can
upgrade an existing linux file system to btrfs without destroying the
existing fs or duplicating the data!
http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Conversion_from_Ext3