On 15 Sep 2009, at 11:24, Ian Tickle wrote:

> Phil
>
> Nothing at all wrong with plain text for simple messages as you say,
> but
> if you want to communicate a complicated equation (particularly one
> containing a lot of Greek letters and math symbols not in the standard
> ASCII set!) the HTML version is much cleaner and easier to understand.
> Obviously I would never try to send such an equation to the BB, I'm
> talking about private messages.  The problem is remembering to switch
> back to plain text for run-of-the-mill messages (and knowing people's
> sensitivities I always try to do that!).  On my client admittedly the
> option for plain text/HTML sending is in clear view, in a previous
> version it was buried deep in the menu options and had to be selected
> before you started to compose the message, and the same may well be
> true
> for other clients.

I didn't know you could sensibly do equations & Greek letters in html,
but clearly html can be useful. I would have plain text as the
default, though

> The other point of course is that you're never going to be able to
> stem
> the tide!  There will always be people who will use HTML even for
> simple
> messages, mostly through ignorance, and it seems to me that if the
> HTML
> version causes problems as it seems to be doing in your client, then
> the
> easiest solution is to adapt and select the 'by default view as plain
> text' option.

I suppose I also don't understand why people composing html messages
would select a tiny font size, or is that a function of the Mail
reader rather than the writer (which would seem to defeat the purpose
of the writer formatting the message)?

Phil (confused as usual)