You need to run mapmask to extend the mask to cover an assymetric unit
using the overlap option. CCP4i instruction here:
http://ccp4wiki.org/~ccp4wiki/wiki/index.php?title=Electron_density_manipulation#Converting_a_non-crystallographic_mask_to_a_crystallographic_mask

This is becoming a very FAQ. I guess I need to do some magic in Coot to
at least warn people when their map is going to give problems.

Kevin