Pam,

wanted me to post her email replies here as she is not on this mailing
list:

Dear David,

In one of my poems on The Argotist Online the reference to 'old europe'
is an ironic reference to George W Bush's use of the term pronounced,
by him, 'old yerp'.

Happy to hear you say 'coffee shop' in Britain, perhaps that's its origin
in the colony (that's ironic too).

Regards,
Pam Brown

Pam

there's nothing I can see in the poem that indicates GWBush is
specifically intended (Old Europe is a hackneyed usage of hoary
provenance) and certainly not 'old yerp'.

Formulations like 'coffee shop' are normal in English. In the sense that
it's used as a demotic alternative to the frenchified 'cafe' it's probably
yet another echo of the dual parentage of the language (I know the
etymology of 'coffee' is Turkish-Arabic, that's another matter, he said,
warily, glancing over his shoulder).

Concise Oxford definition of 'cafe' = 'coffee shop'.

As for colonies, I've never owned one.

Oh Well,
for me 'Old Europe' has passed into the modern vernacular. Sorry that it
disturbed your correct cultural reference detector. I do refute that it's an
example of 'a poetics for the international bourgeoisie'.

Yes,I agree, your 'impression' is absolutely 'curious'

The coffee shop/cafe reference is, in fact, in opposition to what you call
the 'international bourgeoisie' - the line is about liking Ken Bolton's
poems NOT using the trendy international word 'cafe'.

Your comments on etymology aren't relevant here. They're really plain
old nit picking.

Pam Brown

Dear David,

That poem is included in my forthcoming collection 'Authentic Local'.
(Ironic title too)

I've re-read it - I'll add single quotes to 'old Europe' - that should aid
my few potentially-befuddled readers. So, thanks for the comment
about that.

Still NOT part of whatever 'international bourgeosie poetics' is, though.

Pam