Hi Marijke and all,

I have found:

Parthian rice (the earliest I know of in the Near East; 1st century
AD) at Susa, Iran:
Miller, Naomi F.

1981 Plant Remains from Ville Royale II, Susa. Cahiers de la
Délégation Archéologique Française en Iran 12: 137-142. [Download pdf]

Islamic era rice (a few grains and a few glume fragments) and a few
cotton seeds at Gordion, Turkey (dated 13th-14th century AD):
Miller, Naomi F.
in press   Botanical Aspects of Environment and Economy at Gordion,
Turkey. University of Pennsylvania Museum, Philadelphia.

[that monograph is scheduled to appear in 2010]

[I have put several of my more obscure botanical reports on
line...http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~nmiller0/ and go to 'self-promotion'
and then 'publications list']. I hope to be adding a few more in the
coming weeks.]

That's it for now. Naomi

On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Van Der Veen, Prof M. wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I am in the process of writing up Quseir al-Qadim (Egypt) plant
> remains, where I have found a number of so-called summer crops,
> which have been the focus of debates about the Early Islamic
> agricultural revolution in the Near East (Watson 1983). I would be
> very interested to hear from you if you have found any of the
> following crops in North Africa, East Africa, the Arabian
> Peninsula, the Near East, esp. when dating to the period c. AD1 –
> 1500.
>
> The species I am interested in are:
> Sorghum bicolor, sorghum
> Pennisetum glaucum, pearl millet, bulrush millet
> Saccharum officinarum, sugar-cane
> Oryza sativa, rice
> Gossypium sp., cotton (old world)
> Citrus species
> Musa spp., banana
> Solanum melongena, aubergine
> Colocasia esculenta, taro
> Citrullus vulgaris, watermelon
> Cynara cardunculus/scolymus, artichoke
> Spinacia oleracea, spinach
> Mangifera indica, mango
> Cocos nucifera, coconut
>
> If you have archaeobotanical records of any of these, would you
> send me a reference and, if possible, an offprint or xerox.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Marijke
>
> -----
> Professor Marijke van der Veen, MA, PhD, FSA
> School of Archaeology & Ancient History
> University of Leicester
> University Road
> Leicester LE1 7RH
> England

Naomi F. Miller
Research Project Manager, Near East Section
University of Pennsylvania Museum
3260 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
tel: 215.898.4075; FAX: 215.898.0657