Dear Colleagues,

How are you approaching the definition of ELQs in respect of students from Scottish institutions who already hold a Bachelor degree at ordinary level and wish to enrol on an Honours degree programme at your institution? We have taken the HEFCE guidance in 2008/37:

In general, institutions should treat qualifications that fall within the same level within these frameworks as being equivalent. However, it may be appropriate in particular circumstances to consider a hierarchy of qualifications within a single level, particularly where students are progressing through a succession of qualifications. In particular:

a.              Within level 7 of the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, it may be appropriate to consider a masters qualification to be at a higher level than a postgraduate diploma, which in turn may be at a higher level than a postgraduate certificate. This may, however, not necessarily apply in all cases and will depend on the nomenclature adopted by different awarding bodies.

b.             Within level 6 of the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, it may be appropriate to consider a bachelors degree with honours to be at a higher level than a bachelors degree without honours.

And determined that we will not consider a degree with honours as at a higher level than a degree without honours for any UK students including those from Scotland. This has been determined not the least by the awareness that in our HESA return we cannot distinguish between non-honours and honours degree at entry (QUALENT2 code 11 = First degree of UK institution) and thus were we to decide that such a student was non-ELQ and report to HEFCE in HESES as such a HESA/HESES data audit would suggest that this was incorrect!

Best wishes,

Judy

Judy Evans

Deputy Head of Registry