From: Henrik Thiesen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [EFTC] Methadone and the Damage(??) Done
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, 1 August, 2009, 5:20 PM

Hi Judith

I totally agree on what you write - what I don´t agree on is the simplistic idea that methadone is replacement for missing endorphine and that the treatment is long acting opioid. I have constantly about 20 patients on long-acting opioids. Increasing - decreasing and substituting.
The longest I have had in personal care is a 55 year old swedish gentleman who would have been long dead, homeless in the street of Copenhagen, as he was excluded from methadone treatment in sweden because he took illegal benzodiazepines. We have detoxed him from the benzoes which made his life quality very very much better - and he lives happily on a fixed dose of methadone which doesn´t move one millilitre up or down.

In Denmark we have given a very liberal access to methadone for years and if the idea of endorphine replacement was correct we would have seen people now on methadone, some on high doses, living without supplementary drug-use. We have had colleagues who has prescribed 5-600mg/day without any benefit for the patients who were still using heroin and whatever comes around.

What I do think is that the system you describe, with methadone as a part of treatment, will work - the problem as I have seen it is that because we have a political establishment which is scared of opioids we get a more and more politicised system which undermines treatment and more and more relies on "systems" that can be managed and measured.

Right now the system is denmark is almost destroyed by political decisions - what is left is more and more "managed care" where systems becomes more important than what comes out of it.

Some years ago the evidence base showed us that out-patient and in-patient treatment tended to have the "success-rate" - that led to a major movement of funding from in-patient to out-patient treatment. Nobody ever asked if there might be sub-groups who would benefit from in-patient treatment because it was "scientifically proven". Decisions are made by policy-makers, politicians and managers in the public system en the decisions tend to go in the direction that has the lowest cost. Once systems are dismantled they are not very easily re-built - and nobody really cares.

One of the cheap options is Methadone treatment with psycho-social care - It would not be cheap if psycho-social care was given but actually what is left after a few rounds of cost reduction is methadone given through a hole in a barred window (because violence has risen in syncronicity with cost reductions) and a very long and "scientific" intake process with endless talks with uneducated personnell doing endless ASI-scores.

So I´m absolutely not in any anti-methadone wing but if we do not know why we are giving medications and if social-workers and managers are the ones who in reality makes the diagnosing and in reality decides what treatment (inpatient -outpatient /methadone or anything else) the patient should receive before he´s seen by a doctor then things end up in a terrible mess.

We can hope as treatment providers, that we can help the person to change but as knowledge goes down and is replaced with schematic evidence base - all we do is locking people up in a fixed set of possibilities and at the same time we take away the possibility of self-care and re-creation of self.

The debate goes wrong - I think because methadone is linked with harm-reduction and in many places where methadone is not available it becomes "the marker" for introduction of a harm-reduction based system. But methadone is just a chemical substance and when used wrong it causes just as musch harm as any other inflexible use out of context. We have had a similar experience with Antabuse which we use to very large degree in Denmark ( http://www.nad.fi/pdf/50/Thiesen.pdf ) - when a medication becomes THE treatment - everything else seems to wither. Other examples could be the use of antidepressants and maybe upcoming - the use of ritaline for adult ADHD.

I haven´t read much in this thread that I disagree with because we all want to reduce harm for our patients.

All this doesn´t have much to do with alcohol - except... the Swedish does drink, sometimes a lot - sometimes nothing but it does not influence how much methadone he gets and we do not punish him for drinking.

Henrik