Hi,
I think i may well be a "Methadone Mullah", having prescribed it for
thirty years as an inner city  GP.

I find the high emotion involved in what seems to be an "anti-
methadone" as much as a "pro-abstinence" debate, very surprising.

I think back 30 years, to when my GP Trainer told me that people who
use drugs to excess can be divided into " those who do it to get
'high' and those who do it to get 'by' " .

Those in the first group who find to their surprise, that they  are
waking up shivering until they take heroin each morning,  will
generally organise their own detox , with the help of family and
friends, and most will of course succeed and get on with their lives,
and some will write newspaper articles about their escape from heroin.

For those in the second group, heroin is not their only problem, and
they will not generally find it so simple, because when the cushion
of heroin is taken away, the pain of their lives will return. They of
course need a lot more psycho social help, but also will need time to
pass while they build other ways to cope.

This is the group helped by methadone or buprenorphine prescribed to
replace the heroin, as unlike heroin, these are  both long acting
medications, which last more than 24 hours, and so allow the person
to wake in the morning without shivering and shaking, to raise their
heads from the immediate physical daily need for heroin ,  while they
regain their physical, social and psychological strength and well being.

Eventually it is my experience that in many cases these people will
feel able to plan a life without opiates. i have many patients who
have taken ten or twenty years to reach this level of strength, but
eventually they are delighted to escape from opiates (including
methadone ) and get on with their lives. I certainly do my very best
encourage people registered at my surgery  on every occasion I see
them,  to continue with life plans of every kind , while i continue
to prescribe the maintenance methadone which gives them the time and
space and strength to do that.  A daily heroin habit is of course a
full time job, as funding, buying and using it generally leaves no
room for anything else.

Some of the damaged and struggling second group described above will
need and will eventually benefit from the kind of help only offered
within a "therapeutic community", and in the end that will of course
be their route to a life without heroin However most of the  hundreds
of thousands of people (in the UK alone) who find themselves
dependent on heroin do not want or need to leave their own
communities in order to get on with their lives, but they may well
benefit from an interim period taking methadone . i cannot see why
this is thought to be so bad.

And then there is also the research evidence .....

all the best
Judith Yates
GP Birmingham UK.