Hi all

Thanks for all your responses to my response to Alan. I haven’t had time to read all the attachments, but recognize the ‘fellow feeling’ in these responses. We need to be strong and continue in our work, I believe, recognizing that “in order for evil to triumph, it is necessary only that good men (sic) do nothing.” I forget who said that.

In terms of Alan’s use of the term ‘inviting education’, I have probably mentioned on this list before the Invitational Theory to which I was introduced by a South African woman who had studied in the U.S. The theory was developed by William Watson Purkey and made immediate sense to a wide variety of educators, both indigenous and ‘later arrivals’, when we taught it at the polytech where I then worked. A critical part of the theory revolved around how we can be either consciously or unconsciously inviting or disinviting in the areas of places, policies, people, processes and programmes (the 5 Ps, as Purkey put it). I think the ‘conspiracy of silence’ that Alan sparked this conversation off with is part of that conscious or unconscious disinviting behaviour to people.

That may or may not contribute to the conversation, but I hope it rings bells for some. Sometimes, it is unconsciously disinviting behaviour by others that we can perceive to be conscious, but really isn’t. Having said that, it did sound from Alan’s response to my original email that the behaviour he’s experienced is more likely to be the ‘consciously disinviting’ type. But the 5 Ps provide a good framework for organisations to look at how they come across, and how they WANT to come across, to clients.

Sorry, no time for more now. Take care out there!

Warm regards

Pip Bruce Ferguson

p.s. finishing with a quote I read in a great book I’m reading at present – “Seven Sacred Pauses” by Macrina Wiederkehr. Hope the ‘unison’ comes for us all, and partly through our own work!

When you work you are a flute <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/k/kahlilgibr124624.html>  through whose heart the whispering of the hours turns to music <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/k/kahlilgibr124624.html> . Which of you would be a reed, dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison?
Kahlil Gibran